Wednesday, August 6, 2008

The problem with the homeless in my area


Gainesville is a great place to live.  It has a vibrant college atmosphere, a small yet metropolitan downtown, historic buildings, and a great farmer's market.  Add in 1,000 homeless people, and you have everything Gainesville has to offer.  The homeless have become a large problem in Alachua County.  It is hard for me to walk around downtown alone at night without feeling a little afraid of being approached by a "homie" as my friends and I like to call them.  Some of them hang out on campus, some go through my trash, and others have tried to break into my friend's home.  I do feel  bad for them and the situation they have been forced to suffer in.  However, they have become a nuisance to the residents of Gainesville and it will only get worse if something isn't done to help them get back on their feet. 

No comments: